Monday, August 14, 2006

I saw a man who danced with his wife...IN CHICAGO!

OK, so when I first moved here to Chicago I immediately had to call my mom (who is even more of a human MP3 player than yours truly, if you can believe it) and have the conversation that went thusly:

Me: Mom, you would never believe what a time I had today.
Mom: Oh yeah, did you have the time, the time of your life?
Me: Yes I did and guess what I saw...I saw a man, who danced with his wife
Mom: In Chicago?!?!
Me: Yes, in chicago, golly it's a tottlin' town!
(mom and I giggle uncontrollably and rather stupidly at the silliness of a joke so obvious but strangely satisfying in its simplicity)

Anyway
, now that I've gotten that random flashback out of the way I can tell you about my totally enjoyable evening, and how I continue my love/hate/love/adore relationship with this city.

I went downtown with a new friend, who is disconcertingly similar to myself in a lot of ways including being queer and ex-Catholic. We took the Metra which, when it doesn't hit a semi-truck, is quicker, more punctual, cleaner and in many ways more pleasant than either El or bus. OH, for those who don't remember or know, the only other time I took the Metra it hit a semi and there were helicopters, police, ambulance and the whole thing. It was a whole ordeal and turned me off to the Metra for a little while.

Anyway, the trip down was nice, we found a lovely little gourmet chocolate shop and had yummy sundaes with chocolate covered cherries on top and then went to see the movie Little Miss Sunshine. It was an AMAZING movie, and completely lifted me out of the funk I've found myself in in the last few days. If you are the kind of person who likes really quirky, dark tragicomedy about dysfunctional people loving each other despite their foibles and eccentricities than this is the perfect film. I haven't laughed so hard all summer.

Then we strolled around Millenium Park and the reflective bean glowed with the city lights and looked as if it were covered with tiny stars and the big waterfall tower thingeys were luminescent in the darkness.

I'm feeling very content at the moment. Good conversation, a wonderful movie and a fantastic city where people are actually around at night.

Although right now I feel the need to go into the country and lay in a big field looking up at the stars. The city is lovely, but I'm craving that peaceful sinking of your body enveloped by the grass and ground and the only sound being your breathing and crickets.

There's a wasp in my room that I discovered this afternoon, so I'm wondering about how I'm going to sleep. Speaking of, is there some symbolism about the wasp or other stinging insects. Because this is the second time this summer that such an encounter has happened. At GA there was a wasp in my hotel room and security came up with a big stick. So it is probably just coincidental and a summer thing, but I just want to cover my kooky new agey bases, ya know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home